There is a lot going on in the world and it is hot as _______ (fill in the blank).
Here are my top tips for getting a good night sleep this summer.
- Be very selective about the news you watch/read/listen to… Even then, limit your news exposure and be sure you turn the TV and other digital devices off in the evening (at a minimum two hours before lights out time).
- Don’t go to bed angry with your spouse/partner.
- Eat a light dinner early (by 7:00 PM).
- At bedtime, journal about what went well during the day. Then write down a few things you are thankful for.
- Keep the ceiling fan on (if you have one) and stick to sheets that help keep your cool. I recommend this list by Good House Keeping.
- Exercise during the day.
- Drink plenty of water during the day (but not too close to bedtime).
- Nurture your spiritual life and know that you are safe and that God (or whatever you believe to be your higher power is) loves you.
- Know that you did your best today and that you can let whatever challenges you had go. Tomorrow is a brand new day. It can help to go ahead and write down some things in your journal that are stressing you right now before you turn out the light. This gives your mind permission to let it go.
- Take a hot bath or go in the hot tub 1-2 hours before bedtime for optimal sleep.
That is what I have for you. I wish you a restful night tonight and each and every night.